dbus control of volume?

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 17:06:55 UTC 2010

Nils Kassube said the following at 03/17/2010 10:17 AM :
> D. R. Evans wrote:
>> In KDE3, the following command mutes the audio volume:
>>   dcop kmix Mixer0 setVolume 0 0
>>
>> What's the right command to do the same thing in KDE4 (i.e., with
>>  dbus)?
>
> Is it mandatory for you to use dbus? For scripts I always use amixer to
> control the mixer settings.

The man page says that amixer is for ALSA. I don't pretend to understand
the morass that KDE4 sound is, but my understanding (which could be
completely wrong) is that ALSA has been superceded by Phonon.

Just in case my understanding is wrong, I tried one of the examples from
the man page:

[H:N] amixer -c 1 -- sset Master playback -20dB
amixer: Unable to find simple control 'Master',0

  Doc

--
Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR