format thumb drive

Alan Dacey Sr. grokit at ajinfosearch.com
Sat Mar 13 17:33:42 UTC 2010

On Saturday 13 March 2010 12:11:08 pm Lee Ross wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 07:01:28 -0900, William Biggs <kc8pdr at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I need to format my thumb drive I need to know how ?

Reply #6 is the answer.  Use Gparted but be VERY careful!!!
One wrong move and you will eliminate /everything/ on your hard drive.
A thumb drive will usually auto-mount as something like /dev/sdh.  If you are
using the stick on windows computers you should format it as fat32.

Partitioning works like this if it mounts as sdh:
1- Format               (/dev/sdh as fat32)
2- create partition table
3- create partition  (/dev/sdh1)

You can create more than one partition if you like but I don't really see a
need for that with a thumb drive.  As always BE CAREFUL when using Gparted.
Read everything twice to make absolutely sure that you are not doing anything
you don't want to.

--
Alan

"The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us from
the support of a cause we believe to be just."
Abraham Lincoln