Kubuntu/Ubuntu does not remove everything from memory at shutdown

Steve Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Fri Mar 12 02:45:44 UTC 2010

On 12/03/10 12:31, Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> On Friday 12 March 2010, Steve Morris wrote:

>>> Here's the deal.  The BIOS clears and initializes the hardware
>>> to a certain point upon boot up, and when the control is handed
>>> over to the OS after the bootstrap is loaded, it's up to the
>>> starting OS to initialize, and load the drivers for all
>>> detected devices.  Blaming Kubuntu because Windoze doesn't load
>>> right has got to be the craziest thing I've heard around here
>>> in a LONG time.
>>>
>>> Here's a point you don't get as well:  If you're "warm booting",
>>> you're by nature NOT clearing all the code in all the adapters
>>> at the OS level, you're just clearing and writing out the Hard
>>> Drive cache, killing all the apps running, and kicking off a
>>> quick reboot via ACPI.  It's up to the BIOS of the box, or the
>>> next OS startup at that point to reset all cards and memory.
>>> That kind of completely empty RAM and all other add-on cards
>>> would be a complete cold boot, right?  Warm booting means I
>>> don't take the time to completely clear and shut down the
>>> hardware, I just do a "refresh" boot, hence the name "warm".
>>>
>>> I've been using Kubuntu for years now, and there have been times
>>> when I've had to do a cold boot because drivers didn't load
>>> successfully, but I've never (on many machines) heard of
>>> blaming OS3 because OS2 and/or OS1 didn't do their shut down
>>> right.  I've always blamed the OS that was booting up for not
>>> full power off reboots because warm boots don't completely
>>> empty RAM/microcode, etc on different OSes (Linux, NetWare,
>>> OS/2, and Windows) so this is nothing new. Sometimes to get new
>>> microcode/updates to load, or fully update drivers, you had to
>>> do a full cold power off reboot, I just haven't run into that
>>> in a long while.
>>>
>> This is definitely not a windows issue, it is an issue of Kubuntu
>> not shutting down properly like other operating systems do. I am
>> in the situation of having to boot into Mandriva and warm booting
>> from there to cater for Kubuntus inadequacies.
>>
> You do know that Kubuntu and Mandriva are essentially the same
> operating system (i.e. GNU/Linux)?
>
> Also, please try to understand what is going on before wildly
> throwing around accusations! Howard Coles did a nice job of
> explaining what happens and why it happens - if you understood what
> he said, I'd like to see your argument why he is wrong.
> To roughly summarise his post: not cleaning and resetting every
> device state is common practice both in the MS and the Linux world
> and it's the OS' job to properly initialise the hardware during the
> booting process.
>
>    --Reinhold

I understood everything he said and I am not saying he is wrong.
What is now being highlighted then is that if Mandriva is not removing
the settings at shutdown, it is using settings that are compatible with
windows and Ubuntu is not. Hence Ubuntus settings should be changed to
remove this issue.

regards,
Steve