Kubuntu/Ubuntu does not remove everything from memory at shutdown

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Thu Mar 11 19:09:26 UTC 2010

On Thursday 11 Mar 2010 04:53:21 Howard Coles Jr. wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 March 2010 03:48:35 pm Mark Greenwood wrote:
> >
> > Yes that's exactly what I'm suggesting. Those suggesting this is a Windows
> > problem have missed the point and failed to understand the problem. The
> > problem is that Kubuntu does not correctly shut down and clear
> > memory/microcode/ACPI on a warm reboot. If the system has not been
> > properly shut down then it is not the next OS's problem if hardware does
> > not initialise correctly.
> >
> > Mark
> >

> Here's the deal.  The BIOS clears and initializes the hardware to a certain
> point upon boot up, and when the control is handed over to the OS after the
> bootstrap is loaded, it's up to the starting OS to initialize, and load the
> drivers for all detected devices.  Blaming Kubuntu because Windoze doesn't
> load right has got to be the craziest thing I've heard around here in a LONG
> time.
>
> Here's a point you don't get as well:  If you're "warm booting", you're by
> nature NOT clearing all the code in all the adapters at the OS level, you're
> just clearing and writing out the Hard Drive cache, killing all the apps
> running, and kicking off a quick reboot via ACPI.  It's up to the BIOS of the
> box, or the next OS startup at that point to reset all cards and memory.  That
> kind of completely empty RAM and all other add-on cards would be a complete
> cold boot, right?  Warm booting means I don't take the time to completely
> clear and shut down the hardware, I just do a "refresh" boot, hence the name
> "warm".
>
> I've been using Kubuntu for years now, and there have been times when I've had
> to do a cold boot because drivers didn't load successfully, but I've never (on
> many machines) heard of blaming OS3 because OS2 and/or OS1 didn't do their
> shut down right.  I've always blamed the OS that was booting up for not
> reboots because warm boots don't completely empty RAM/microcode, etc on
> different OSes (Linux, NetWare, OS/2, and Windows) so this is nothing new.
> Sometimes to get new microcode/updates to load, or fully update drivers, you
> had to do a full cold power off reboot, I just haven't run into that in a long
> while.

I'm sure that's all very relevant to something. But here's the deal.

I have Windows Vista, Kubuntu, and Mandriva on my laptop.

I can warm reboot from Windows into any of the 3 OS's I have installed.
I can warm reboot from Mandriva into any of the 3 OS's I have installed.
I cannot warm reboot from Kubuntu into any OS, including Kubuntu.

You still trying to tell me this is Windows' problem?

Mark