Black screen upon starting up Kubuntu

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Thu Mar 11 02:50:47 UTC 2010

Alan Dacey Sr. wrote:

> On Wednesday 10 March 2010 08:14:56 pm Keith Clark wrote:
>> I have an up to date installation of Ubuntu/Kubuntu 10.04 Alpha 3 and I
>> cannot seem to start up Kubuntu.  It starts, I see the initial startup
>> screen, it fades to a black background.  Akonadi starts up fine but
>> turns black right after that.  I can hit Alt-F2 and the command window
>> pops up.  I can hit ctl-alt-del and the logout window pops up fine but I
>> cannot do much else as I cannot see any menu bars or backgrounds.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> Keith
>
> I tried installing a fresh 10.04 A3 and had a similar problem.  I just
> drop to
> tty 2 and can't use the gui at all, tty 7 seems to be forbidden.  No
> amount of
> changing/purging/tweaking the nvidia drivers help at all.  I also can't
> get to
> boot from the cd on a stick, although that may be my motherboard.  I also
> installed the first 10.04 beta in a separate partition and upgraded it
> every
> time I booted into it.  I can not get any composting working in that one.
> I have a feeling that something is still being hammered out in the video
> code
> and is not quite ready.  The only things I have not done is test with a
> new user and if that doesn't work then purge the entire KDE desktop,
> reboot, and install it again.
> I'll be following this thread if anybody has better ideas.

Booting into older kernel (2.6.32-15-generic) isn't a problem.
(and wait for further upgrades to sort this out)

But if we really want to boot into 2.6.32-16-generic, then try one of the
following......

[1]
Boot into recovery, select boot normal, at prompt, login and type either
'sudo kdm start' or 'startx'  (preferably the former)

[2]
At blank screen (after attempting to boot as usual), press
'alt' + 'ctl' + 'prt scr' + 'k'

I'd recommend [1].

Regards - Goh Lip