File association defaults

Steve Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Sun Mar 7 01:32:15 UTC 2010

On 07/03/10 11:20, Mark Greenwood wrote:
> On Saturday 06 Mar 2010 23:41:28 Steve Morris wrote:

>>> In System Settings' File Associations area
>>>

>> That is where I looked and was why I was querying why the application
>> listed by the firefox prompt dialog did not match this.

>>> because firefox may use it's own  method for determining file associations, it
>>> has it's own unique settings that seem to be independent of what the system
>>> default is.
>>>
>>> Wow, downloading acrobat now, sure is a pig:
>>>
>>> $The following NEW packages will be installed:
>>>     acroread
>>> 0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
>>> Need to get 63.5MB of archives.
>>> After this operation, 153MB of additional disk space will be used.
>>>
>>> What I have discovered is that when installing acroread via the commandline,
>>> it offers the choice of setting the systemwide file association for pdf to
>>> acroread (and does so for my firefox setup - it is the fist thing in the
>>> dropdown list). This option I know does not happen using KPackagekit as it
>>> doesn't yet support this sort of apt dialog. This probably explains why
>>> Firefox does not see this, though KDE still seems to notice the change, or
>>> automatically puts newly installed things at the top of the list in terms of
>>> file associations.
>>>

>> I installed Acroread via Synaptic which does support that sort of apt
>> dialogue and I did select the system wide file association. As I
>> understand it Firefox is using gtk as its gui interface, so I am
>> assuming the dialog that pops up to canvas what the user wants to do is
>> a standard gtk dialog that should be obeying kde or gnome settings
>> depending on the desktop being used, hence in the open with dialog it
>> should show all applications configured as handling pdf files, or am I
>> missing something here?
>>
> I don't think firefox honours any of the desktop settings, there are ways to set firefox's associations but I can't remember what they are. Google.

The issue is not the Firefox associations. I have changed these to use
the acroread plugin if the mimetype is specified correctly, but the
issue here is caused by firefox's association being set to "Ask", and
the resultant gtk dialog "Open With" option not specifying the correct
default application nor offering the choice between all applications
configured by kde as handling pdfs.

regards,
Steve