Karmic: how to delete /dev/sr1

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sat Mar 6 19:43:03 UTC 2010

Mirto Silvio Busico wrote:
> I have an external USB hard disk from Western Digital (model My
>  Passport).
>
> This unit comes with two partitions, that I see and I can mount:
>
>     * /dev/sr1 that is understood as a CD
>     * /dev/sdb1 that is a normal NTFS partition
>
> If I mount the partitions "mount" says:

> /dev/sr1 on /media/WD SmartWare type udf
> (ro,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,uid=1000)
> /dev/sdb1 on /media/My Passport type fuseblk
> (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096)
>
> The problem is tah I'm not able to destroy, eliminate, kill :-) the
> /dev/sr1 partition

You could try it with a hammer. But be careful, you might damage the
sdb1 partition. :)

More seriously, I think you can't remove it. According to the mount
point I would assume the disk label is "WD SmartWare" and that suggests
it has a driver for Windows which probably gets automatically loaded if
you connect the device to a Windows machine. This "partition" is
probably located in the system flash rom of the disk and it isn't usable
like a normal partition anyway.

Nils