(K)ubuntu @ Asus Eee PC 1001HA - request for advise.

Bas Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 19:39:14 UTC 2010

Hello everybody.

Here is Bas, writing this message at Kubuntu Karmic Netbook remix at
my Eeepc 1001HA - the one I am aiming at ever since the beginning of
this thread.

About one week ago, I wrote:

> > I intend to use my netbook (eeepc 1001HA) for 3 kinds of internet
> > connections: LAN, WIFI, and 2,5 G mobile internet.....

Lanzen replied:
> ..... you seem to plan a similar usage to mine. And I use the
> default application. If it doesn't work for you, you will have to test and see
> if other applications  work better.

So far, I can confirm this point of view. Now, I have been using the
netbook with Kubuntu netbook remix 9.10 for a bit more than one week.
So far, the default internet connection manager Knetwork manager still
seems to run best at this configuration: both LAN and WLAN. After 8
March a permanent mobile connection will be available as well - than I
will test the 2,5 G connection and get back about it at this forum.

Also from other points of view, the test with Karmic @ the Eeepc
1001HA seems to run quite well so far. There are a only a few major
practical questions left. In this message, I share one of them.

Together with the netbook, I bought a small USB "Bluetooth" dongle
from the manufacturer Sitecom. The dongle is a small device aimed at
enabling the netbook to establish a "Bluetooth" connection with my
mobile phone and other "Bluetooth" devices. The name of the dongle
according to it's documentation is "USB micro adapter Bluetooth 2.1
version" from Sitecom. The software delivered with the little device
is only for Windows and Mc OS X (Apple). At the Windows partition, the
relevant drivers have been identified and installed automagically, but
at the Linux partition, this did not yet happen yet. That's why, I
carried out a terminal lsusb test. This delivered the following
results:
bas at Viaconsensus2:~$ lsusb
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 13d3:5108 IMC Networks
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd
Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
bas at Viaconsensus2:~$

Apparently, the dongle shows up in the 3rd line from below - so Linux
does recognise it.  In Kubuntu 9.10 netbook remix there is even a
so-called 'KBluetooth manager". However, there is still some missing
link disabling me to establish the Bluetooth connection with my mobile
phone. I need this connection for exchanging data between the mobile
phone and the netbook. Can someone give me a clue how to activate it?
Thanks for replying if possible. Have a good weekend!

Respectfully Yours,

Bas.