Ark -rar problem

Lisi lisi.reisz at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 18:51:52 UTC 2010

On Friday 05 March 2010 17:46:13 Ahmad Abou el-naga wrote:
> > Ahmad Abou el-naga wrote:
> > > The '.rar' extention in the Archiving tool "Ark" is not functioning
> > >  properly. It is not extracting, compressing nor opening or archiving
> > >  .rar files saying "failed to locate program 'unrar' in path"
> >
> > Do you have the package unrar or unrar-free installed? One of them is
> > needed but they are not installed as default.
>
> I downloaded the unrar-free but I can't install it

Why didn't you just use a package manager?  I use aptitude, which is as
difficult as:

# aptitude install unrar-free

What's there not be able to do about that??

Or, if you prefer a GUI installer, there is Synaptic and unrar-free is just a
click or two away.

Why were you yourself manually downloading and installing anything?

Lisi