Games, Drivers & all

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 21:40:17 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 7:14 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 14:29 +0100, Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
>> >
>> > That's because almost all packages depends on other packages. In a
>> > console you can write "apt-cache depends wine" to get what
>> > packages wine depends on. Download and install them first.
>> > That's one of the reason using a package manager and a Internet
>> > connection make it so easy, it download all the dependencies to.
>> >
>> > For me it gives (but could show other result for you):
>> >
>> > jonas at Tor:~$ LANG=en apt-cache depends wine
>> > wine
>> >   Depends: wine1.2
>> >
>> > jonas at Tor:~$ LANG=en apt-cache depends wine1.2
>> > wine1.2
>> <snip>
>>
>> If he can't download software due to internet connection problems,
>> how is he supposed to get the dependencies from the repo?
>> IOW, this isn't likely to work if he can't just apt-get install
>> wine...
>
> He did state that he can access the web from work and/or at a friend's
> house. So, he can make up his list of depends, as suggested, download
> them to burn onto a CD/Dvd and take them home to install.
>
> The bottom line is that without an Internet connection, he's not going
> to be a happy camper with most Linux distros. Without an Internet
> connection the list of things he can do with Linux is going to be much
> shorter than the list of things he can't do. Linux is heavily geared
> towards networking. Remove that and you'll have a "Hunt the Wumpus"
> machine.
>
> He wants to compile stuff, but the dev files aren't usually installed at
> first, so that'll produce another flurry of emails with no resolution.
> Sorry, but that's the truth. If he's got Windows installed, then he can
> do writing/print chores and play solitaire with it just as easily.
>
> Until he can get a connection to the web, he's pretty much beating a
> dead horse while expecting cheese from it. :( Ric

I would tend to agree with you but for one thing. All he has to do is
pack up his machine and go to his friends house for an evening and
download and install like mad. One or two days of that and he should
have all the software he could ever want. Why do it the  hard way when
you can do it the easy way?

--
Douglas E Knapp

Open Source Sci-Fi mmoRPG Game project.