Games, Drivers & all

Jonas Norlander jonorland at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 09:07:57 UTC 2010

On 2 March 2010 04:24, Varun Jindal <seeu.varun at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1.    Kubuntu has no game. So, I downloaded the package: kdegames 3.5.10
> from http://games.kde.org & saved it in Windows . Then, opened KPackageKit >
> Software Management. In search field, I typed: /media/disk/kdegames-3.5.10 .
> KPackageKit didn't install anything but displayed “Waiting for service to
> start” (at the bottom) even after 10 minutes.

KpackageKit don't work that way. KpackageKit wants to install from
Internet or from the installation CD. Later in the mail you say that
you don't have a Internet connections so you need to have the
installation CD in the drive but the CD only contains the basic
packages needed to install Kubuntu.

You cant just download a random package like you did, It's wrong
version and probably source code only. I don't think you have the
necessary knowledge for that.
Without Internet on your computer it's getting more complicated, one
solution would be to get (Buy or download) Kubuntu on a DVD as it
contains most of the packages you could need.
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#dvd
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/purchase

If you still want to download programs you can search and download them from
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+search
But it's several things you need to think on, what version of Kubuntu
do you have? What architecture do you have i386 or amd64? What version
of the package do you need? What package do the other packages depend
on?
One way to get the dependencies is to run for example "apt-cache
depends kdegames" from konsole.

> 2.    How to hide files in Kubuntu as we do in Windows?

In Unix/Linux OS, hidden files is a file which name start with a point
so you can rename the file or directory and appending a point and they
will be hidden.

> 3.    Drives are temporarily mounted when I click on them in Dolphin. I have
> to mount them again after rebooting or even after Hibernating! Isn't there
> any permanent solution?
>

> 4.    How can I run C++ programs? Do I have to install any development
> environment (like TC++ in Windows) or is it already installed? Or, type code
> in Kate and run it from Terminal (Also, please tell me the commands for
> compile & run).

Do you mean programs written in C++ or how to compile and run C++ source code?
To compile C/C++ source code you need for starters to install the
build-essential package.

> 5.    Finally, is there any JDK installed; If yes, then where is it located?
> If not, how can I get & install Kubuntu compatible JDK?

There are sun-java6-jdk and openjdk-6-jdk in the repository that you
can install for java development, i also think GCC has a java
environment.

Good luck

/ Jonas