Kernel hell

Thomas Olsen tanghus at
Wed Jun 30 21:10:10 BST 2010

On Wednesday 30 June 2010 16:37:07 Tony Sivori wrote:
> Thomas Olsen wrote:
> > I un-installed lm-sensors but if I try to un-install libsensors4 I get:
> >
> > tol at tanghus:~$ sudo aptitude purge libsensors4 Reading package lists...
> > Done
> > Building dependency tree
> > Reading state information... Done
> > Reading extended state information
> > Initializing package states... Done
> >
> > The following packages are BROKEN:
> >   ksysguardd libsnmp15
> >
> > Is it necessary to remove it too?
> I had a similar problem with lm sensors. This was a while back, if memory
> serves as soon as I'd start lm sensors, X would freeze or crash or I'd
> get a spontaneous reboot. OS was Kubuntu 8.04. It happened with two
> different computers, both Intel chipped mainboards, but neither was
> running integrated graphics.
> Anyway, the trouble disappeared for me without uninstalling lm sensors.
> All I had to do was stop running the program.

Unfortunately it didn't help here. Last night I had a serious crash which left
me with filesystem errors (ext3) that I couldn't recover from. To add to the
misery my optical drive died and the Kubuntu 9.10 I had on a USB key failed.
Luckily I found an old CD-ROM drive and a CD with Kubuntu 8.04 so I spent
until 6am recovering the system and making a recovery USB key with 9.10.

Best Regards / Med venlig hilsen

Thomas Olsen