Kernel hell

Frans Ketelaars ketelaars at wanadoo.nl
Tue Jun 29 14:52:36 UTC 2010

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 13:39:56 +0200, Thomas Olsen wrote:

> Ever since I finally installed Kubuntu 10.4 Lucid Lynx I have had kernel
> crashes at least once a day, sometimes up to ten times a day. It's very
> frustrating and effectively breaks your workflow to put it mildly. I
> could easily come up with other, more harsh ways to describe the
> situation ;-) I have tried a variety of different kernels:
>
> 2.6.35-020635rc1-generic
> 2.6.34-020634-generic
> 2.6.32-23-generic
> 2.6.32-22-generic
> 2.6.32-22-generic
> 2.6.32-21-generic
>
> Some I can (sometimes) boot and let me work for 0-20 hours, others never
> reaches the login screen or goes into an infinite reboot loop. If anyone
> experience the same or similar the relevant bug report is at
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/585734 and it doesn't look promising. So
> now I have come to the conclusion that I need to install a pre-Lucid
> kernel and see if I can get it running. It will probably degrade X
> performance (if it even runs) and crash other applications but I'd
> rather live with that than having to reboot all the time.
> Is it at all a viable solution to install a pre-Lucid kernel and if so
> how should it be done. What about graphic drivers (aren't they somehow
> partly kernel modules now?).

I googled: -> "*ERROR* EIR stuck: 0x00000010, masking" crash <- and found
among others this:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/intel-82845g-788563/

That link as well as the google results suggest to me  that it's a
problem with the Intel integrated graphics and happens with a lot of
distro's.

Unfortunately you can't add a video card to your computer AFAIK .

Good luck!

    -Frans