Kernel hell

Thomas Olsen tanghus at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 11:39:56 UTC 2010

Ever since I finally installed Kubuntu 10.4 Lucid Lynx I have had kernel
crashes at least once a day, sometimes up to ten times a day. It's very
frustrating and effectively breaks your workflow to put it mildly. I could
easily come up with other, more harsh ways to describe the situation ;-)
I have tried a variety of different kernels:

2.6.35-020635rc1-generic
2.6.34-020634-generic
2.6.32-23-generic
2.6.32-22-generic
2.6.32-22-generic
2.6.32-21-generic

Some I can (sometimes) boot and let me work for 0-20 hours, others never
reaches the login screen or goes into an infinite reboot loop.
If anyone experience the same or similar the relevant bug report is at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/585734 and it doesn't look promising. So now I
have come to the conclusion that I need to install a pre-Lucid kernel and see
if I can get it running. It will probably degrade X performance (if it even
runs) and crash other applications but I'd rather live with that than having
to reboot all the time.
Is it at all a viable solution to install a pre-Lucid kernel and if so how
should it be done. What about graphic drivers (aren't they somehow partly
kernel modules now?).
--
Best Regards / Med venlig hilsen

Thomas Olsen