Going nuts on Nepomuk

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 07:28:58 UTC 2010

On 25/06/2010 16:47, Valter Mura wrote:
> In data venerdì 25 giugno 2010 13:35:01, O. Sinclair ha scritto:
>
>> Trying to use Lucid with KDE SC 4.4 installed from kubuntu updates ppa
>>
>> I made a fresh install, put back old data from a backup and have got
>> most things working. Except for the fact that some changes in the kernel
>> has rendered a working 3G-modem useless (still working on that one) my
>> main problem at the moment is that Strigi refuse to autostart. In fact I
>> doubt the whole Nepomuk thing is working even though I have ticked them
>> in System Settings - Desktop Search
>>
>> Every time I boot I have to start Strigi manually, first I get a message
>> "Strigi service failed to initialize,
>> most likely due to an installation problem."
>> It then starts and seemingly starts to index but no tag or such things
>> exist in Dolphin and every time I reboot I come back to the same scenario.
>>
>> Any ideas, I can not find any info on how to trace if Nepomuk even
>> works... or where any logs might be or even so much as a FAQ "out there"
>>
>> Sinclair, somewhat longing back to 9.10 "stable"
>
> Try here:
>
> http://userbase.kde.org/Nepomuk

Sadly that gives no clue whatsoever on how to try and figure out what
Neponuke needs to start/work, what Strigi depends on, where any logs
might be residing etc.

After MUCH searching I have a bad feeling that installing openoffice
Base that pulls in Sun Java and removes OpenJava (or whatever it is
called) is the problem. As it seems that strigi backend virtouos or
soprano or whatever it is called depends on java. Possibly.

seriously, I am consider backing down to 9.10 and stay there until KDE
SC 4 or 5 or something becomes stable and just not ambitious

As it is now my well working 3G Edge modem does not work any longer,
apparently due to changes in the kernel or not using HAL or whatever,
all USB connected items "flicker" occasionally (cease to function for a
while), networkmanager-kde is as crappy as ever etc etc. Most of that is
not KDE related, it is just a kernel that seems weird and full of
regressions.

However, sorry for the rant but can we (read the developers and
maintainers) focus on stability and functionality for a while before
dreaming up new innovations that noone uses?

I support and maintain around 150 users mixed WindowsXP, Windows7,
Kubuntu 8.04 and 9.10. NO USER sits and tags/rates their files or use
any computer search engine. Mostly they use wordprocessing/spreadsheets,
email software, internet browsing, listen to music and edit a photo now
and then. 3G USB modems are increasingly becoming the normal way to
connect outside offices/hotels.

This whole "advanced functionality" is a bit like Windows DCOM or COM+
that few users are aware of and that can seriously mess up your system
if anything is done wrong. Believe me, I support one of those nightmare
Windows apps that are "anything one byte wrong in DCOM COM+ and you are
history, start all over". The whole Akonadi and Nepomuk this far feels
the same to me - take one wrong turn and you have to trace what you did
and then reinstall minus that move/installation.

There is a whole lot of steam coming off here. KDE is beatiful but I am
seriously worried over the direction the development is taking.
Apps/functions that many think need attention, examples KBluetooth and
NetworkmanagerKDE, seems to be at standstill while we are being
guinea-pigs for something that is wonderful technically but pretty
useless in real work.

Yours angry after a lost week and 2 attempts of installing 10.04 and SC 4.4
Sinclair