Proper PulseAudio installation for KUbuntu 10.4

Clay Weber claydoh at midmaine.com
Sat Jun 26 02:12:43 UTC 2010

On Friday, June 25, 2010 02:08:43 am Ric Moore wrote:
> Removing libpulse0 would also remove a pile of KDE packages. Why would
> akonadi-kde-resource-googledata depend on libpulse0? Or Kaddressbook? I
> really want to know. I've been using Linux since the days of the 11
> floppy install. When I see such humongous depends, I have to believe
> that someone, who knows better than me, has ordained that the package
> remain for some reason. Then the package causes breakages and simple
> minded folks like me go nutz.

See my previous email on the
whats and whys of the existence of the PA *library* files installed in Kubuntu.

> Ok, so a lot of us still have to select audio sources from time to time.
> asoundconf.gtk used to do that perfectly, until a function was removed
> from the alsa utils package during the karmic beta period. God help me,
> I'm 60 and forget what was removed, but it being removed crippled that
> perfect little app and I groused about it here, then.
>
> To me and what a quick google search told me, LTS means support for 3
> years.

Note that LTS means 3 years of *security* updates to the versions of software
currently installed - no *new* software versions for the most part, though
small 'point' releases of KDE usually make it into -Updates, like 3.5.10 did
in Hardy. I see 4.4.4 making it there for Lucid, unless there is a 4.4.5. But
you won't see new kernel/driver versions or KDE 4.5.x.

> What I'm reading here is that within less than 6 months pulse
> issues with KDE will be remedied, but to get those remedies one would
> have to abandon LTS security and upgrade to a version supported far
> less?

18 months support isn't too short a time, I would think.

> It boggles my mind that it would be expected for users to accept
> that. Maybe I should just STFU, but I really want STABLE for development
> work and not live the life of the perpetual beta tester, like the Fedora
> Users are. Ric

Well, there is always Debian stable, Red Hat/CentOS, and SLED.......

--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net