"80%" SOLVED: How to get mobile broadband, LAN and WIFI working again at the same netbook??!!

Bas Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 15:22:50 UTC 2010

Hello Sinclair and Everybody

Your latest input, Sinclair, solves at least "80%" of the problem I
have been struggling with the past 3 weeks! Thank you very much.

One question remains in order to completely resolve the following question:

A few days ago, it became clear in which direction I needed to look
for the right solution:

>>> You might want to try the gnome networkmanager that is said to be much
>>> better at dealing with mobile internet. Look for network-manager-gnome.
>>> Uninstall Wicd and network-manager-kde ......

However, I did not find any widget enabling me to control
networkmanager-gnome within the KDE environment I am working with.
(Kubuntu 10.04). Your answer of today, Sinclair, has pointed me at the
missing link I have been looking for:

> I think you have to start something called nm-applet from konsole after
> boot/login to get the applet down in systray

Because of this instruction, I installed again networkmanager-gnome
and completely removed WICD. KNetworkmanager has already been
completely removed a few days ago. In this changed configuration, I
opened Konsole, and gave in the command "nm-applet". Immediately after
doing so, the widget I was looking for appeared in the systray.
Moreover, I do manage now, to easily enable and disable both wired and
mobile broadband connections.
I am writing this message from my mobile connection, which is working
fine now. I did not yet test a WIFI-connection. However, I think such
a connection will work too - taking into consideration info I have
read at this forum and elsewhere.

The only question remaining now is the following: how can I change the
start-up settings in such a way that the "nm-applet" automagically
appears AND STAYS in the systray?
Now, this applet only appears in combination with Konsole and the
command "nm-applet". However, when quitting Konsole, nm-applet also
vanishes. The mobile broadband connection also stops in such a case.
That's why, I look for a way to change the settings in such a way,
that nm-applet can run automatically, immediately after booting and
starting up. So far, I did not yet find an understandable answer to
this question at Kubuntu or Ubuntu Forums.

Thanks, respectfully yours,

Bas.