4. Howto Lower brightness on Apple LCD Monitor? ; jor (giovanni_re

Yorvyk yorvik.ubunto at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 23 13:58:17 UTC 2010

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 10:47:09 +0100
Brian Wootton <Brian.Meg at btinternet.com> wrote:

> On 23/06/10 01:47, kubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
> > I've just installed an Apple Cinema Display (LCD) monitor. This is a 5 year old monitor.
> > Using KUbuntu 10.4
> >
> > The apple website indicates this monitor has:
> > User controls (hardware and software):
> >    	Display power, system sleep, system wake, brightness and display tilt
> >
> > Brightness is what I want to turn down.
> >
> > Looking in the
> > KDE System Settings>  General>  Computer Administration>  Display>  Size&  orientation>  DVI-0
> >
> > there is no adjustment for brightness.
> >
> > Anyone know how to decrease brightness on this?
> >
> > Thanks:)
> >

> I can't believe Apple monitors are all that much different to
>
> any standard LCD monitors, I've an Acer, an LG and a Sony and in
> all of them brightness, contrast, etc. are all adjusted within the
> monitor - nothing to do with any OS. Are you sure you can't set the
> brightness in the monitor - seems very strange if you can't.
> brian

Is there not a brightness control on the side of the monitor?  The last time I played with one of these, a couple of years ago, there was just that one control near the power switch I think.  Everything else had to be controlled using some proprietary software.

--
Steve Cook (Yorvyk)

http://lubuntu.net