Mobile broadband, LAN and WLAN seem to conflict with one another.

Bas Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 21:22:24 UTC 2010

Hello everybody

At present, I work at a netbook (Asus Eee PC 1001 HA)  with Kubuntu 10.04.
During a few weeks I managed to both work with KNetworkmanager and WICD.
After fresh-installing Kubuntu Lucid, it became clear to me that the
installation of WICD does not any more automatically un-install
KNetworkmanager and inversely. According to information in another thread on
this issue, both packages do not conflict any more with one another. They
can be"used next to one another" - as someone wrote me explicitly upon my
question on this subject-matter. For me this new development seemed to solve
problems I had been struggling with for several months. It enabled me to use
KNetworkmanager for the activation of a mobile broadband network, while
using WICD for LAN and WLAN.
But ever since about one week I am experiencing difficulties again. I do not
manage any more to use wireless WIFI networks - even when giving in the
right codes. And tonight KNetworkmanager suddenly stopped working while I
was using a mobile broadband dongle connection. I have restarted the laptop
a few times - no success any more. I cannot use any more the mobile
connection. I am sending this message via the only option that remains now:
a wired LAN connection activated via WICD.

I absolutely need BOTH WICD and KNetworkmanager - in order to enable myself
to work with both LAN, WLAN and Mobile broadband. Can someone please give me
a clue how to:....
reactivate KNetworkmanager with a view to using again mobile broad band?
adapt the settings of WICD in such a way that I can use again WIFI
connections when giving in the right code?

Thanks for replying.

Bas.