nepomuk

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 18:41:15 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-06-16 at 18:39 -0400, Clay Weber wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 16, 2010 03:20:51 pm D. R. Evans wrote:
> > Clay Weber said the following at 06/16/2010 11:37 AM :
> > > If you rely a LOT on desktop search, tagging files and
> folders/pictures,
> > > then nepomuk is quite good, but it can take a fair bit to index
> > > everything initially. It does shut off automatically if resources are
> > > too low. But searches are quite fast.
> >
> > How long is it likely to keep running following an upgrade? (Yeah, silly
> > question because it probably depends on all kinds of imponderables,
> but
> > what have other users experienced?)

I turned the damn thing off and don't miss it personally. Just maybe I
don't want a program to know where everything is, because it can tell.
My music and video files are my business, I put them where I put them
and I know where what is. Maybe I'm being paranoid <giggles inanely> but
I switch off all media features like album cover retrievals. It would be
a piece of cake for some nosy music-industry hack to find out what has
been retrieved with a court order. I look askance as "cloud computing"
too ...no telling who can snoop and what can happen with the
information, once it has left the security of my machine.

> > I seem to recall that it ran for a couple of hours when I moved to
> karmic.
> > I upgraded to lucid two days ago, and all four cores are pretty solidly
> in
> > use still, and the disk light is still on almost continuously. The (lack
> > of) responsiveness of the desktop is truly abysmal, so I'm wondering
> how
> > much longer this is likely to go on.
> >
> > I don't like to remove something that KDE seems to expect to be
> running,

Nary a whimper, after I turned it off. Now to dig around to find all
those files to delete them. :) Ric