skype microphone input

Mark Fraser ubuntu at mfraz.orangehome.co.uk
Wed Jun 16 15:15:00 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 16 Jun 2010 16:05:39 Brian Wootton wrote:
> I'm running kubuntu 10.04 on an amd64, all of my audio apps
> run perfectly(video, audio, vlc, amarok, dragon player, flash,
> audacity record/playback. My only problem is with skype -I can
> hear people AOK, but to them my voice sounds as though I'm
> talking down a 10 metre drain pipe. I can confirm this from
> the skype echo testing service. I've been onto skype, but so
> far they've only told me to do what I've already done(re-install)
> other advice they've given me is totally out of date. I don't want
> to do anything too drastic because everything else on Lucid
> works fine and I don't want to mess up what I've got.
> Has anybody come across anything similar or can anybody
> give me any pointers.

I'm getting the same thing with Kubuntu 10.04 i386, I've even tried using the
line-in input and that sounds bad through Skype, but sounds fine with
Audacity. I think it has something to do with the audio chipset used as it
works fine with UNR 10.04 on my Toshiba netbook.

I would love to solve this too.