Lucid screwed some users after upgrade/unsolicited update

Clay Weber claydoh at midmaine.com
Tue Jun 15 17:49:29 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, June 15, 2010 06:40:27 am Steve Morris wrote:
> On 15/06/10 14:43, Basil Chupin wrote:

> >> I have gone into the configuration options of kpackagekit
several
> >> times and can't find any options to tell it to notify me of new
> >> updates but not to download them until I tell it too, or I run the
> >> updates through synaptic. If you know of somewhere else to
look I
> >> would be grateful if you could tell me where the options are.
> >
> > If you are really desperate then you can always simply uninstall
the
> > kpackagekit app. itself.
> >
> > But there is, under Sources for the repos, the menu where you
configure
> > what you want kpackage to do. Have you looked there?
> >
> > BC
>
> Thankyou. I had seen this option but I don't have it active so I
assumed
> this was not it as with the option to check disabled it should not
even
> be checking for updates let alone installing them without checking
for
> authority. I am assuming the upper half of this tab does not override
> the checking option and that its specification is which types of
updates
> I want checked, although having said this I enabled the checking
and
> rebooted, and kpackagekit still downloaded and installed security
> updates anyway. So it looks like this process doesn't work properly
and
> needs rewriting.
>
> regards,
> Steve

Have you tried uninstalling KPackagekit? It is that application that is
not behaving correctly as per the bug report I posted earlier. As you
seem to be using Synaptic anyway, you do loose the notifications in
the systray, but at this time, it is the only way to stop this.

They have been discussing this with the KPackagkit folks so hopefully
something can be fixed.

Clay