stopping /tmp cleanup on reboot

Reinhold Rumberger rrumberger at web.de
Tue Jun 15 16:56:39 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 15 June 2010, Alvin wrote:
> I wonder why you want to keep /tmp at boot. This has led to
> problems for me in the past (not being able to start X)
> For this reason, my /tmp is mounted as tmpfs. There is a blueprint
> to make this the default.
>
> See also:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/524196
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/server-karmic-tmp-as
> -tmpfs

I've experienced the bug myself - however, e.g. konqueror uses/used
some file in /tmp to detect crashes and restore itself after one.
That would be pretty difficult if /tmp was emptied on every boot.

I also sometimes find it useful to examine the temp files some apps
produce, especially over a couple of days.

  --Reinhold