Re; VIDEO_TS

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 16:16:13 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 4:48 PM, Basil Chupin <blchupin at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On 11/06/10 00:20, Nils Kassube wrote:
>> Basil Chupin wrote:
>>
>>> But the only thing is that CSS is patented....it belongum to private,
>>> profit making entity and so it wantum lotsa pearl shells in exchange
>>> for you using that technology...
>>>
>> Well, it may be patented but if I understand our patent law right, I may
>> use that technology at home for non-commercial purposes anyway - without
>> handing over "lotsa pearl shells" to the patent owner. But other
>> countries may have no mercy with individual private users of patented
>> technology.
>>

>> Nils
>>

> This response also touches on what Reinhold stated in the post following
> yours, and which I omitted in my original response to avoid making it
> big: the equipment one buys to play these DVDs with CSS/DRM/whatever
> protection contains the ability to decrypt such protection - otherwise
> nobody would be able to view the DVDs. One is paying the "pearl shells"
> via the cost of the equipment when one buys an "approved" DVD player
> which will play such DVDs.
>
> But there are DVD players available which will play such DVDs without
> blinking an eye-lid - and not cost an arm and a leg when you buy the
> unit. I have been told to avoid anything Sony (or MS for that matter)
> because of their adherence to DRM - but then all this stuff does not
> affect me, and so to me its all academic.
>
> BC
>

> --
> Attorney:   All your responses MUST be oral, OK? What school did you go to?
> Witness:    Oral.

It gets more mean than that. If you move to a new place, then you
can't play the DVDs in that place without changing your player's
setting. You can only do this 5 times. What happen if you buy disks in
both places? Yep, you loose one or the other. I guess most people
don't move as much as me but this is a truly evil thing anyway.

--
Douglas E Knapp

with open source software!

Massagen Arbeit in Gelsenkirchen Buer