Wireless problem

Mark Greenwood captain_bodge at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jun 6 18:25:41 UTC 2010

On Sunday 06 Jun 2010 18:38:28 Harry Hersh wrote:
> Clay,
>
> When I try to run
> >  sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter
>
> the following appears
> 	Reading package lists... Done
> 	Building dependency tree
> 	Reading state information... Done
> 	E: Couldn't find package b43-fwcutter
>
> > Have you tried the Restricted Driver Manager, found in the System
> > section of the K-menu? It should simplify the process for you.
>
> In my K-menu / System are the following
> 	Adept Manager (Manage Packages)
> 	HPLIP Toolbox (Printer Toolbox)
> 	KCron (Task Scheduler)
> 	Keep (Backup System)
> 	KInfoCenter (Info Center)
> 	Konsole (Terminal Program)
> 	KSysGuard (Performance Monitor)
> 	KSystemLog (System Logs Viewer)
> 	Kubuntu Device Database
> Nothing remotely looking like a Restricted Driver Manager
>
> Does this make any sense? I am running the 10.04 version of Kubuntu.

It's normally called 'Hardware Drivers'. Try "sudo apt-get install jockey-kde"

Your system menu looks very strange. Adept hasn't been used in 2 releases, it was phased out in favour of KPackageKit, and you have a host of other missing stuff too. Your installation looks minimal, or broken. Are you sure you installed 10.04? Which installer did you use?

Mark