KDE4.3 beta issues

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 04:15:35 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2009-05-26 at 09:23 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Ric Moore wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2009-05-25 at 15:51 +0100, Mark Greenwood wrote:
> >
> >> Frankly though, if the software wasn't so bleedin' broken we wouldn't
> >> be having this argument would we? ;) The argument should be for better
> >> beta testing instead of releasing beta code as "finished".
> >>
> > I was about to make the very same remark
>
> Sorry, but if that's what you want, you should be using a different distro.
> Many of us came to Ubuntu because we couldn't _stand_ the Debian philosophy
> that a release remained in testing until nobody could think of any reason at
> all why it shouldn't be released.  Ubuntu promised releases every 6 months -
> warts and all.  I want my 6-month release.  I'm bright enough to know
> whether it's worth doing (Intrepid wasn't, Jaunty was).

Heh, I fled Fedora for the same reason, release it even if broken. At
that time Mark Shuttleworth promised a stable installation that could be
depended on. I switched and my first install was Hardy. Stable as a
rock. I was wildly impressed. My Intrepid experience wasn't pretty. So,
I re-installed Hardy. Then I gave Karmic a go. Many problems with Pulse,
so I went back to Hardy. I have recently installed Lucid. Sound is less
a problem when I run Gnome where I can easily chose sound devices.
Doesn't seem to work under KDE. I have hope though.

But, there is no reason "I should be using a different distro". That's
what the a$$hats at Fedora said. Fedora IS promised as cutting edge
while Mark promised "stable". Funny thing, Bob Young promised stable and
pretty much delivered on his promises. Are you saying, Derek, that Mr.
Shuttleworth mis-spoke or that he doesn't keep his promises? After all,
it's his deckgun to fire, so I don't think others have the right to be
advising people to leave when someone complains that something is
seriously broken to the point that useful work cannot be done. After
all, there is Fedora for the folks that want a "release no matter what"
and are willing to be a perpetual beta tester. I finally got tired of
it.

When I was at RedHat, we tested the alpha's and beta's in house LONG
before we allowed a very limited public beta test. They got a free Box
set for their efforts. That was back in the early IPO days. My 3,200
option on shares aren't worth the paper they were printed on now. But,
those boxed editions were pretty much rock solid as shipped. Bob
wouldn't have it any other way. Helluva guy.  Ric