How best to activate a mobile internet modem/ SIM card @ Kubuntu Karmic?

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 04:42:02 UTC 2010

O. Sinclair wrote:
> Bas Roufs wrote:
>>> Apologies, I was not expressing it in a clear manner. It is in kppp when you
>>> choose the modem port that you must make sure you set /dev/ttyUSBx without
>>> anything in between /dev/ and ttyUSBx. You get a LOT of choices so I
>>> understand why it is easy to make a mistake.
>> There is something strange. Because at this big list of choices I
>> consequently tick only at /dev/ttyUSBx (x = 0,1,2 or 3). So, without
>> anything else between /dev/ and /tty...
>>
>> On the other hand, the output after each dial attempt shows indeed
>> something between /dev/ and /tty.
>>
>> ???
> Then I am afraid you are facing a problem I have never heard of so I agree
> ???
> and hope someone else on the list can assist

What you can then try is to use wvdial. I am not good at how to set up
the parameters, maybe someone else can assist.

 From Konsole first run "sudo wvdial.conf" if I remember correctly, then
correct various parameters such as dialing number etc and dial up using
"wvdial"

A third way would be to find and download UMTSMON - I "somewhere" found
a deb package, do not remember where. I can mail it to you outside the
list if you like. It is graphical but I have to start it from command
line to make it work. It senses the correct port by itself, at least in
my experience.

Sinclair