Desk top replacement

Alan Dacey Sr. grokit at ajinfosearch.com
Thu Jun 3 22:34:05 UTC 2010

On Thursday, June 03, 2010 05:53:46 am Neil Winchurst wrote:
> My brother uses Windows XP at the moment. He is considering replacing
> his rather old desktop with a laptop. I am also considering the same
> thing as my desktop is taking up too much room in the third bedroom
> which I use as my study. (Comments have been made, especially now that
> we have grandchildren who are getting old enough to visit and stay with us.)
>
> So I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations or comments re
> laptops to replace our desktops. Weight would not be a consideration, it
> is mainly to take up less room. Incidentally my brother would consider
> going over to Linux. For what he does on his computer it would be very
> easy to convert him.
>
> So anyone...???
>
> Neil

If you don't mind paying the windows tax, a Dell Latitude E6400 works
absolutely perfectly with Kubuntu., wireless, touchpad, graphics and all.
I got one from work and just had to double-boot it :)
It also has enough power for basic computer use.  I have had multiple
spreadsheets, documents, a couple of tabs in firefox open at the same
time with no slowing down or stuttering.  As long as you don't expect to
play high-end games on it, it just works. TM

--
Alan

"Now no one has to tell an old Aberdeene pub-crawler how to applaud, captain."
Montgomery Scott