How best to activate a mobile internet modem/ SIM card @ Kubuntu Karmic?

Bas Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 15:25:55 UTC 2010

Hello Sinclair and Everybody
> it is called the APN for TMobile (or whatever provider). Internet searches ...(SNIP)
The keywords "APN T-mobile NL" enabled me to find all the codes we
need from the provider T-Mobile NL

Phone number for access to the modem: *99#
APN: internet
Account Name: tmobile
Password: tmobile

One of the websites where I found this info is this one:
http://www.pluk-in.com/pluknplay/apn_mobiel_netwerk_nederland.php

>> Do you mean: an empty space inbetween " " ? Or are you simply pointing
>> at an empty space to be created with the tabulator, without any other
>> sign at all?
>
> I mean an empty space

Via KPPP I tried to dial into the modem both with the empty space and
with "tmobile" as user.
In both cases I tried the four ports: ttyUSB0, ttyUSB1, ttyUSB2, ttyUSB3.
But in all 8 variants I get a log window feedback like this:

kppp can not find:
 /dev/usb/ttyUSB1
Please make sure you have setup your modem device properly and/or
adjust the location of the modem device on the modem tab of the setup
dialogue.

Sometimes I do get a simpel "error" in case of the user name "tmobile"
in combination with ttyUSB0 - then, KPPP freezes and quits. In such a
situation, I need to restart and quit 2 times in order to get KPPP
running again.

Also attempts to set a connection via "Networkmanager" have been
fruitless so far.

However it may be, I still do not get a working internet connection
from the Kubuntu 10.04 partition in combination with the HUAEI E1820.

> Once you get the apn settings right and the number itself you should be able
> to try via Kppp the different /dev/ttyUSBx ports. Tick "show log window"
> before you hit connect button and you should see output in a separate
> windows. Once you see "modem ready" you are on the right port

So far, I did not yet get the feedback "modem ready" - in spite of
everything I have been doing so far. Moreover: I explicitly take care
of unmounting every time the USB stick before doing anything else.
That's why, I am wondering what exactly to do next.... Is there
anything else I can change in the settings of KPPP with a view to
getting a working internet connection?

Thanks, respectfully yours,

Bas.