Desk top replacement

FarSight Data Systems msh at farsight-data.com
Thu Jun 3 15:05:54 UTC 2010

On Thursday 03 June 2010 05:53:46 am Neil Winchurst wrote:
> My brother uses Windows XP at the moment. He is considering replacing
> his rather old desktop with a laptop. I am also considering the same
> thing as my desktop is taking up too much room in the third bedroom
> which I use as my study. (Comments have been made, especially now that
> we have grandchildren who are getting old enough to visit and stay with
> us.)
>
> So I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations or comments re
> laptops to replace our desktops. Weight would not be a consideration, it
> is mainly to take up less room. Incidentally my brother would consider
> going over to Linux. For what he does on his computer it would be very
> easy to convert him.
>
> So anyone...???
>
> Neil

Neil,

I've been using an Acer laptop (I also have an Acer netbook and desktop, but
I'm a computer consultant).  I've never  had to call Acer tech support in the
3.5 years I've had the laptop and the others.

Further, Linux has installed terrifically on all of them!  I prefer either
Kubuntu or Linux Mint with a KDE desktop, but Gnome is OK.

I kept the Windows on all the systems (laptop has Media Center/XP, desktop has
Vista - with the free upgrade to 7 which I haven't installed yet, the netbook
has a cut down version of Vista) and just resized the partitions to allow
installation of Linux.

I prefer 64 bit dual or multi core AMD CPU (the netbook has Intel Atom, dual
core 32 bit, but the netbooks don't give much choice in CPU).

That's my experience and my suggestion.

Mark

--
Mark S. Halegua