how can we make Linux more accessible for a bigger public?

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 10:32:13 UTC 2010

Bas Roufs wrote:
> Hello Everybody
>
> (snip)

>>> Yes, this helps absolutely. Problem solved! ..... (snip)
>
>> But also be aware that this may not completely cure the problem: as I
>> understood it, OpenOffice uses translation tables to reformat into MS
>> Word which means that the translation may not always work as required.
>
> This might be true in a limited number of cases. But in most of the
> cases, those "translation tables" seem to work sufficiently well -
> even complicated functions like comments and corrections can be used
> cross-platform. I nearly daily convert and exchange sometimes
> complicated documents with clients and partners cross-platform. I
> successfully do so ever since late 2007. The only aspect that is new
> to me is the possibility to automate the save-as function.

You can also speed up the start of Openoffice substantially by playing
around with Options.

choose "Memory" and change Undo number of steps to something lower, I
use 20 but that is personal
in Graphics cache increase "Use for OpenOffice.org" to 100 (take into
account the RAM on the computer)
set "Memory per object" to 10

OK it all, restart Openoffice. Big difference, at least on my computers

Sinclair