How do I make Ubuntu into a permanent OS

Clay Weber claydoh at midmaine.com
Sun Jul 25 02:52:12 UTC 2010

On Saturday, July 24, 2010 10:32:22 pm Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> On Sunday 25 July 2010, Clay Weber wrote:
> > On Saturday, July 24, 2010 09:59:49 pm ryan logan wrote:
> > > I know this sounds dumb... or you might get this a lot, but, I
> > > need some help!I love Linux, and Ubuntu has always been a + for
> > > me. Well, I have Kubuntu 64 bit edition and it comes up with
> > > the WUBI Installer, which is neat because of the desktop based
> > > temporary OS partitioning... however, I want it to become a
> > > full OS and not a temp. I have a 320 gig Drive that I want to
> > > use it on, but, I cannot because I am unable for the life of me
> > > to figure out how to make the change. It says that I can change
> > > from temp to full, must it be done within the Ubuntu OS? Or can
> > > I do this when I install it? Any help would be great guys/girls
> > > ~Ryan
> >
> > You would simply boot your computer with the Kubuntu cd in the
> > tray - it will boot off of that and you can install it to your
> > drive from there.
> >
> > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall/Kubuntu
>
> Since I never used wubi, I just have to ask: would that preserve the
> data from the wubi install or should ryan do some backing up? And if
> so, what needs to be backed up apart from the home directory?
>
>   --Reinhold

Wubi is a way  to test and try (K)Ubuntu, and is not designed for permanent
use (though it seems quite safe doing so),  it is runs from a file on your
widows partition.

so backing up the home directory is about it. There is no easy way to
'convert' a wubi setup into a permanent install  -
http://www.wubi-installer.org/

Actually, there is a tool to transfer a Wubi install to an actual partititon,
but it does not support 10.04 right now

http://lubi.sourceforge.net/lvpm.html

Even if it did support Lucid, you would still have to get a partitioning tool
and run that to set everything up

Clay