lucid: DVDs no longer accessible

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 08:59:07 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-07-21 at 20:54 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 21, 2010 08:44:42 pm Ric Moore did opine:

> > > snap.. yeah, it's udf... thanks for the correction :)
> >
> > Still doesn't address why the DVD isn't fired up automagically, when
> > it's inserted. It just doesn't seem to work no mo'. Ric
>
> That is what my last burner did, Ric.  I fought with it for a week, gave up
> & saddled up my GMC and made a trip to dear old WallyWorld clear out to the
> other end of town, where a fresh LiteOn with a sata interface seemed to
> beckon to me.  It couldn't do lightscribe, but I found that was only very
> slightly better than worthless when it did work with the previous 3 drives.
> No where near enough contrast to the image IMNSHO.  That was about 4 months
> back up the log.
>
> Then I thought I had lost it a couple of weeks ago as it didn't recognize
> the cd of PClinuxOS-2010-7-x64 I had just burned in it.  But a full,
> powerdown reset for about 30 seconds brought it back to life.
>
> I have not had a burner last me a full year yet, usually just long enough
> for the warranty to expire.  BBLB syndrome I guess.

I think you mis-understood. Our DVD drives are just fine. But, in Lucid,
if you put in a movie DVD you no longer get the popup asking you what to
do with it ... K3B, Xine, Movie Player, etc. It no longer happens and I
did a fresh install of Lucid. It's probably just something wacky
somewhere. Otherwise, DVD's play just fine manually. Ric