Lucid and Skype (Errol Sapir)

Mark Greenwood captain_bodge at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jul 4 20:50:28 UTC 2010

On Sunday 04 Jul 2010 20:40:51 Billie Walsh wrote:
> On 07/04/2010 02:06 PM, Brian Wootton wrote:
> > On 04/07/10 16:34, kubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
> >
> >> I've been using Kubuntu ever since making the complete change from
> >> Windows a number of years ago. I still have to use Windows at work for
> >> certain particular functions so I have a dual boot on my computer.
> >> My computer has an AMD 5300 CPU with 2 giga ram. The other component
> >> that needs to be mentioned before I outline my problem is the graphic
> >> and sound cards. Both are OB  Nvidia. The graphic card is a GEforce 6600
> >> and has the NVidia 195.36.24 drivers running it. The sound card is the
> >> NVidia CK804.
> >> Ever since installing Lucid (about a month ago) I have been unable to
> >> use Skype. I installed Lucid first as an upgrade and the from the CD
> >> after formating the partition. The problem is both with the microphone
> >> (I cannot be heard - even during the test) AND with the webcam (doesn't
> >> turn on with Skype). I can hear people who contact me, i.e. the speakers
> >> work. In Karmic (and other previous versions of Kubuntu) I was able to
> >> use Skype without a problem. I have tried every tweak I can think of
> >> (and have read about) but I guess my knowledge is too limited to solve
> >> the problem. In windows Skype works without a problem and because of
> >> that I am forced to reboot every time I need Skype. I cannot get it to
> >> work in Lucid.
> >> I of course have had radical thoughts (try Ubuntu with Gnome, go back to
> >> Karmic, or even try another distro:-[  )  to solve the problem but maybe
> >> this forum could prevent those "solutions".
> >> TIA
> >> Errol
> >>

> > Can't offer you a solution I'm afraid, there appear to be a few of us
> >
> > having problems with microphone/skype/lucid - I myself ccan transmit
> > non-understandable noises from my microphone, it is not dead/silent.
> > I have also tried everything I could. Skype email help assumes the
> > presence of PulseAudio, which, of course, Lucid hasn't got. People on
> > this list have suggested ditching alsa and installing PA, this might cause
> > more problems than it cures, so I've refrained, especially as all other
> > audio apps work fine for me.
> > Mandriva does have PA installed and skype on it does work. Just to
> > make life complete some-one on this list said that the next kubuntu
> > version will have PA fully working - hopefullyskype may then work also.
> > Not too helpful I'm afraid. There will be a few grateful people on
> > this list if a good solution is found.
> > brian
> >

> My EeePC was the only computer that had Skype on it [ it just came with
> the install of Eeebuntu ]. The new upgrade deleted it. I would guess
> that Skype and Lucid are incompatable.

Not so. It works 100% for me on Lucid. It seems that it's the combination of Skype, Lucid, and Nvidia sound cards that is the problem.

For those that have installed skype - how did you install it? From the Skype website, or from the 'partner' repository? Mine is from the partner repository.

Mark

Mark