910 KU live boot CD Graphics fail 6yo Compaq laptop. (jor)

Clay Weber claydoh at midmaine.com
Tue Jan 26 16:23:12 GMT 2010

On Monday 25 January 2010 11:43:34 pm giovanni_re wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 10:30:06 -0500, "Clay Weber" <claydoh at midmaine.com>
said:
> > On Monday 25 January 2010 12:11:24 am giovanni_re wrote:
> > > Thanks Clay :)  - still some problems, see below:

> > > Clay - you've got exactly the same computer: Compag Evo N610c.  IIRC
> > > this has 1GB RAM.
> > >
> > > 1) Boot up, get the desktop background & blacked out bottom bar, right
> > >  click where KStart button is, select "classic menu style", (now get
> > > grey garbage instead of black bottom bar), left click where KStart
> > > button should be, classic menu displays, select "settings > system
> > > settings", it comes up with garbage top bar, right click that, select
> > > "config window behavior", enable check box for "desktop effects",
> > > select OK, BUG: Get all black display with white pointer arrow &
> > > touchpad no longer works - can't move pointer or do anything -
> > > completely locked up, have to power off power on.
> > >
> > > 2) alt-shift-f12 does nothing.  The only key combo with f12 that does
> > >  anything is ctrl-alt-f12, which gives me a completely garbage screen,
> > > same as dong ctrl-alt-f1.  Then ctl-alt-f7 brings me back to the
> > >  KDE-graphics-desktop display.
> > >
> > > Clay or anyone - further suggestions??
> > >
> > > Thanks :)
> >
> > As I mentioned, you have to somehow open a window with a (garbled, I
> > know) titlebar - try to right-click on your desktop and select 'desktop
> > settings' or similar, then right-click on the titlebar and select 'Window
> > Behavior' to bring up the plasma/desktop effects config and enable them
> > from there.
> >
> > Then see my comment in the report for the xorg.cong file you need to
> > create to fix it better and permanently.
> >
> > EXA is the default acceleration method these days, but on lower-memory
> > gpu's don't handle that so well,and performance can be poor (slow) using
> > it. Using the settings I found makes it work so much better. I do not
> > recommend playing with Desktop Activities, however, as this will
> > seriously bog the 'ole laptop down
>
> Thanks again Clay :)
>
> But, Ive done what you suggested to (that's what I said above).  I retried
>  with _exactly_ the method you described right above, same bad result:
>  black screen, white pointer, totally locked up (this is when boot from
>  live KU 910 cd).
>
> It's curious how we have the exact same laptop, & different behaior.  Not
>  to say you've forgotten [ ;) ], but have you done that _exact_ procedure
>  (which you just described) with a KU 910 live cd, on that laptop,
>  recently?  Perhaps something is working differently now.
>
> Any further suggestions you have will be appreciated. :)

I dunno :(

Those are the exact steps I took with the Karmic live disk (minus trying the
alt-shift-f12), and have taken
since it's alpha stages. I even booted to that disk to make sure I was
correct, though I usually just go straight to the installation from the boot
menu or the install icon on the desktop - but as I already know about the
graphics corruption, and how to fix it, I don't play with the live desktop
session at all as the 'anomalies' do not effect the install process.
--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net