New install on recent hardware, no composting

Clay Weber claydoh at
Sun Jan 24 23:32:35 GMT 2010

On Sunday 24 January 2010 05:16:35 am Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On a new install on rather recent hardware, I get this message when
> trying to enable Desktop Effects:
> """
> Failed to activate desktop effects using the given configuration
> options. Settings will be reverted to their previous values.
> Check your X configuration. You may also consider changing advanced
> options, especially changing the compositing type.
> """
> Kubuntu 9.10
> Asus M3A78-EMH HDMI Motherboard with onboard ATI video
> $ lspci
> 01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 3200
>  Graphics
That chipset does not have compositing with the open drivers, you will need to
install fglrx for that. The driver manager should be able to handle that for
you, else install the package xorg-driver-fglrx.

However, Lucid *will* have compositing available using the the open
drivers/newer kernel. I have the on-board radeon hd 3200 myself, and in 10.04
compositing worked out of the box.
Clay Weber