Two strange processes

Reinhold Rumberger rrumberger at web.de
Tue Jan 12 17:42:31 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 12 January 2010, Muzer wrote:
> Well, as I said,

Your mail didn't arrive 'til shortly after I sent my answer, sorry I
didn't directly correct your reply.

> dhclient exits almost immediately after startup
> (execute it yourself if you don't believe me).

ifup runs it with the -d flag, which means that it *won't* exit.

> If it remains as a
> Zombie, that means it has died but the parent process hasn't done
> anything about it - this is a bug in the parent process, which in
> this case is probably network-manager. I would check on the
> internet to see if it is known.

Actually, to me the OP's phrasing suggests some confusion about the
meaning of "zombie process". If it is indeed a zombie, I concur with
you - but than I would strongly advise against using NM anyway... :-)

  --Reinhold