Welcome to the "kubuntu-users" mailing list

Reinhold Rumberger rrumberger at web.de
Sat Feb 27 11:53:05 GMT 2010

On Saturday 27 February 2010, Bruce MacArthur wrote:
> On Saturday 27 February 2010 04:19:57 am Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> > On Saturday 27 February 2010, Bruce MacArthur wrote:
> > >
> > > extras?section=universe?section=multiverse
> > >
> > > Hello, Lindsay --
> > >
> > > I did this and absolutely nothing would happen.  I also
> > > manually (and with GREAT care!!!) copied the URL into
> > > Konqueror and could get NOTHING to happen!  I notice that
> > > there is no
> > > top-level-domain name specified here, that there is no ".html"
> > > ((or similar), and that "apt:xxx" is a structure that I do not
> > > recall seeing in a URL -- but I do NOT want to suggest that my
> > > ignorance should be compared favorably with your knowledge!
> > > Do you have any refinements or further suggestions for me?
> >
> > Are you sure *nothing* happened? Not even some error message?
> > Anyway, that URL should have been:
> > apt:kubuntu-restricted-extras?section=universe?section=multivers
> >
> > No "http://" or similar...
> > Also, this URL will only work in konqueror and possibly the "Run
> > Command" dialog (Alt+F2).
>
> Hello, Reinhold --
>
> To answer your question directly, No, I did not see even a
> diagnostic!
>
> I have tried this using Konqueror, and it re-directs me to
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/CommandLine.

corrected that URL...

> This gives rather complete instructions for using the command line
> to reset repository options, but it does NOT either get or
> install anything "as such"!

I assume that that means, that you haven't yet activated the universe
or multiverse repository.
The easiest way I know of follows:
1. Open a terminal and execute "kdesudo software-properties-kde".
   - If you don't have kdesudo installed, either install it using
     "sudo apt-get install kdesudo" or try the same command with
     "kdesu" instead of "kdesudo"
2. Enter your password when prompted.
3. Make sure all the checkboxes in the "Kubuntu Software" tab are
   selected (the "Source code" checkbox may be unchecked or half-
   checked).
4. Close the dialog.
5. In the terminal, execute "apt-get update".

After doing this, using any package manager you should be able to
install kubuntu-restricted-extras.

You may also want to look into medibuntu
(https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu).

  --Reinhold