Partitioner does not show partitions

Bruce MacArthur bmacasuru at fastmail.us
Tue Feb 16 01:19:17 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 10 February 2010 09:17:11 am Amila Liyanaarachchi wrote:
> I tried to setup Kubuntu on a PC where windows7 is already installed.
> I have a 500GB HDD (SATA) with following partitions,
> primary 100MB (NTFS) - windows management
> primary 100GB (NTFS) - windows7 installation
> the rest is unallocated space (~400 GB)
>
> I wanted to install Kubuntu on new partitions created on the
unallocated
> space, but when I'm going through the installation wizard and when I
come to
> the create partitions screen it does not show any existing partitions.
Even
> the hdd is not shown as unallocated space. I was using a Kubuntu 9.10
CD and
> setup Kubuntu on a dfferent PC with the same CD (so there can't be any
> problem with that)
>
> Can anybody help me with this?
>
> Thanks,
> Amila

Hello, Amila --

This was posted back on Feb 10.  I have been in the hospital for almost
a week and still have hundreds of un-read E-Mail messages.  Please
forgive me if I am ignoring replies that have long-since been posted.

One thing that you "had better" understand, as long as you are running
any variant of Wyn-Doze as a primary operating environment is this.  The
Wyn-Doze installer just naturally assumes that only an idiot would ever
want anything else to run his (or her!) computer.  THEREFORE, no matter
what you may think that you have specified otherwise, it is most likely
that 100% of your hard disk drive is still, effectively (if not quite
literally), allocated to your Wyn-Doze installation.  With this
understanding, it is obvious that (as best the computer can really tell)
you really DO have no drive space available!

The generally accepted approach to resolving this problem begins by
optimizing your Wyn-Doze environment, using standard Wyn-Doze tools.
Then you can partition your drive -- ensuring that you leave plenty of
space for Wyn-Doze applications expansion (mostly by data, but also by
updating) -- to allow for *ix (or other) installation.  Finally, install
whatever you feel like installing.  I hope this helps.

Bruce   Mac Arthur
     bmacasuru at fastmail.us