/etc/rc.local does not run at boot

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 15 04:25:32 UTC 2010

Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Sunday 14 February 2010, Larry Alkoff wrote:
>
>>> What is the output of
>>> find /etc -name *rc\.local -print0 ¦ xargs -0 ls -l
>>>

>> root at arriba /# find /etc -name *rc\.local -print0 ¦ xargs -0 ls -l
>> find: paths must precede expression
>> Usage: find [-H] [-L] [-P] [path...] [expression]
>>
>> I don't know much about using find but your syntax didn't work.
>>

> You should remove the '\'  before .local

Whenever I've gotten that error, it usually means I used an asterisk and
needed to put quotes around the expression.  In your case, it would be
-name "*rc\.local".  I don't know what it will do with the '\'
character.  I don't know if it would normally treat the . as a stand-in
character and thus need escaping or not.  I don't know if the shell is
expanding the asterisk or what exactly is happening, but the quotes
usually fix it.

Paul