2 documents side by side

Clay Weber claydoh at midmaine.com
Sun Feb 14 20:21:38 UTC 2010

pkaplan1 wrote:
> On Sunday 14 February 2010 05:32 Errol Sapir wrote:
>
>> I see in windows 7 that  two documents can be "clicked" into position
>> side by side so that one can work on both documents at the same time.
>> One drags the one document to the right side of the screen and it
>> "clicks" into place. One then drags the second document to the left side
>> (it "clicks" into place) and both documents are then readable
>> simultaneously.  I read that this is also possible in Kubuntu. Is this
>> so? If so could somebody write a "blow by blow" description an how to
>> enable this.
>> TIA
>> Errol
>>
> This is only possible in kde4.4 which was released this week.  The kubuntu
> homepage (www.kubuntu.org) has instructions for upgrading 9.10.  If you're
> running an earlier version of kubuntu then you'll have to compile from source
> (kde.org).

I *think* this is possible in some version of kde 4.3.x, I remember
playing with that some time back, but I amn away from my Kubuntu boxes
righgt now so I cannot confirm or deny this, or see which effect you
need to enable. Having both 4.3 and 4.4 makes it confusing on this.
> One caution, if you have a heavily customized kde environment from an earlier
> version, you might want to backup the ~/.kde directory (and possibly even
> delete the original) before upgrading and then let the new version build it's
> own ~/.kde directory.  You'll then have to reconfig kde, but I've run into
> problems in the past using old config directories with newer software versions,
> esp something as large and complex as kde.
> Paul

No, you don't have to delete ALL  your files in ~/.kde, though sometimes
you may have to delete your plasma- related config files in
~/.kde/share/config/. that way you don't have to  do more than
reconfigure your desktop look and feel. You won't loose your Konquer or
Kmail settings, for example.

Clay