No desk top computer?

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Sun Feb 14 10:06:35 UTC 2010

On Sunday 14 Feb 2010, uriah heep wrote:
>  I would consider a minaturized desktop.  Can get Mini units about the size
> of a small  brief case.  Flat screen monitor can be hung on the wall.
> Complete with a wireless keyboard and mouse.  Just put a handle on the case
> and a little cheap monitor when you are away from your wall mount..
> uriah

What I have here is, an Atom based mini-ITX board that I bought to replace the
mother board and power supply in a little server I built a couple of years
ago. The main objective is to reduce power consumption, but it will also get
rid of the rats nest of spare wires from the ATX power supply.

This little board only needs a single 12V supply, which can be provided by a
DC wall wart if you wish, although I'm planning to build mine into the case.
With a hard drive attached and running Karmic server with the boinc client
installed to give it some work to do, it takes about 1.8A from the 12V
supply.

I don't know whether this little board has enough processing power to run the
KDE desktop - I've not tried it - but if anybody wants to look up the specs
it's an Intel D945GSEJT.

Dave

--

Registered Linux user number 393408