Open Office upgrade??

John DeCarlo johndecarlo at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 23:42:33 UTC 2010

On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 12:56 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm having a couple of problems with OpenOffice. I install just what is
> available from the repos.

As others have already noted, this is an issue with every version of
K/Ubuntu.

The version maintainers do not want to take the time and effort to update
packages for older distributions.

Thus, most of us have to maintain our own packages for important
applications, like OpenOffice or Firefox or Tomcat or Thunderbird or
Audacity ...

I can see how it simplifies the job for developers, and there are never
enough people and time to do everything.

But I agree with you that it leaves the normal user left in the lurch, out
in the rain without an umbrella, etc.

OTOH, there are people who maintain "backports" repositories and PPA
repositories, it just isn't made clear that almost every Kubuntu/Ubuntu user
will want to use one of those eventually.

--
John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own