No desk top computer?

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 11:27:14 UTC 2010

On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 12:08 PM, Neil Winchurst <barnaby at drofle.com> wrote:
> Knapp wrote:
>>
>> I would add that the mouse input on all laptops drive me crazy. Get a
>> nice cordless laser mouse and maybe even a nice cordless keyboard to
>> go with it.
>>
>> BTW this thread is on topic. Most of Kubuntu is just Linux and this
>> users likely wants to run KDE on his laptop.
>>

> I will certainly look into a cordless mouse. I am using a USB mouse at
> the moment, and I have disabled the touchpad, which I hate.

My cordless mouse plugs into the usb port as does my wifi.

> And yes, I do plan to use Linux with KDE on any laptop that I buy.

Then make sure you have lots of memory. I like having 2GB minimum but
then I do a graphics work with Blender and Gimp. In any case memory is
cheap and makes things go fast provided you have a good swappiness
setting. Anyone with 1gb plus should perhaps change that setting from
the default of 60 to 10-20 or so. I also love to have silent computers
because who wants to listen to that hum all the time? Quite is a
factor that not many people think about at first. There is a good web
site on the subject.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/

--
Douglas E Knapp