Strange Konqueror Problem

Reinhold Rumberger rrumberger at web.de
Thu Feb 11 10:28:55 UTC 2010

<rrumberger at web.de> wrote:
> > You're completely misreading the situation as well as having no
> > clue what he's actually doing. Konqueror bundles websites with
> > their resources (pictures, etc.) into a specially structured
> > tar file, which it calls "war". The fact that this extension is
> > also used in java environments to bundle web applications is
> > purely coincidental.

First of all, I'd like you to know that I'm sorry for the tone of my
reply - I was under a lot of stress at the time and should really
have thought twice about answering.

> Thanks, Reinhold, I did not know that.  How very unfortunate that
> KDE chose to use a well established extension like .war to mean
> something totally different.  I guess there are only so many 3
> letter extensions, and maybe not a lot of Java developers in the
> KDE team.

I completely agree on this matter. Ironically the .war means "Web
ARchive" in both instances. The one major difference between the two
is that the .war in a java environment is a zip file, while the
Konqueror website archive is a gzipped tar.
But it definitely is confusing...

  --Reinhold