problem converting to ext3 file system

Chris Jones christopher.rob.jones at cern.ch
Tue Feb 9 21:35:45 UTC 2010

Hi,

> NTFS is entirely too fond of picking a file, any file, at random, but the
> randomness seems heavily biased toward important files that can only be
> recovered by a full wipe & full reinstall, and summarily deleting them.  You
> only find out its gone on the next reboot & it won't even reboot.  Been
> there, done that, bought the T shirt AND a new copy of NT at full list price
> for an important machine at the TV station, 3 d-----d times.  Ask M$ for just
> that file & they just sort of chuckle and say to go buy a legal copy.  The
> copy that destroyed itself was also a 100% legal copy.  CD's just get thrown
> away, so I now duct tape the cd to the inside of the case.  I have come to
> the conclusion this 'feature' may even be an easter egg of sorts.  And
> without the src's, how are you to prove/disprove it?  Can't.  But the
> evidence is sure there...

Whilst I agree in principle - Re-partition if you can, I just want to add another view which is I have used wubi installations in a number of places I'm not allow (or don't wish) to repartition the drive, and I've not had any of the issues discussed above. I also don't think it is normal for windows to randomly delete files... Maybe the common factor in all the machine above is Gene himself ;)