(K)ubuntu @ Asus Eee PC 1001HA - request for advise.

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Sat Feb 6 11:41:09 UTC 2010

On Saturday 06 Feb 2010 09:36:01 Bas Roufs wrote:

> It is clear that "Ubuntu netbook remix" is not a good option in this
> case. But what about the current version of  "Kubuntu netbook remix"?
> Does it have the same problem? Does anyone have practical experience
> with that distro?

I have some.
I like the concept behind the Kubuntu netbook remix, it makes using such a small screen actually quite easy (provided you're prepared to Alt-Tab through applications) and it seems much more polished than the Ubuntu netbook remix. BTW, whoever said that the Ubuntu version doesn't multitask was wrong, of course it does, it's not a iPhone!, but it has some rather irritating UI design concepts that make it, IMO, ugly and difficult to use. Plus it uses Gnome apps, which are horrid :P .

However the biggest problem I've had with running Linux on my netbooks is battery life. It's truly awful compared with what Windows achieves, and since this is a portable device I think battery life is the top priority. My Acer Aspire One runs for between 2 and 3 hours under Windows XP, and between 1 and 2 hours under Kubuntu Netbook Remix. I now run Moblin 2.1, which gets me back my lost hour - so Linux *can* do it but it seems that none of the major distros are interested.

I recommend you check Moblin out - it might not be functional enough for you if you want something that behaves like a 'proper' laptop, but for web browsing and email on a small device it's the best OS I've used.

Mark