(K)ubuntu @ Asus Eee PC 1001HA - request for advise.

Bas Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 20:48:27 UTC 2010

Thanks, Muzer, for your feedback!

> hardware, the only issue might be in the wifi card in which case > you would have to use ndiswrapper if no drivers exist.

If this becomes relevant, I will get back about it to this forum.

> > OPTION 1
> > ... current version of "Kubuntu remix" ......
>
> This is what I would do. I have Kubuntu Netbook Remix on my
> Aspire One ZG5 (the one with the crappy slow SSD :p)

What means 'SSD' in this context? 'Solid state disk' or something else?

- it runs fine, and although
> there are a few issues that get on my nerves, there is nothing
> too major

If 'Kubuntu Netbook remix'  works fine apart from some rough edges, it
is OK  for me.

> - - Alt-Tabbing ... to switch applications ....
I tried it at this machine - good idea!

>.... YMMV

What means 'YMMV'?

> > OPTION 2
> > 4 stages plan ..."Ubuntu ...  Kubuntu netbook remix 10.04.....

> this method... end up with quite a bloated system - I
Thanks for sharing  this warning.

> to be cautious. ....
>
> So, you only need to resize from the right.

Useful warning again. How can check I whether I resize from the right?
Is this graphically visible?

> I personally would recommend you install with separate root
> and home partitions, as if you decide you want a different distro > after all (or a  different setup), you can more easily scrap it and
> start again without losing your files.

This sounds reasonable. How do I get separate root and home
partitions? Via some advanced option?

Thanks, respectfully yours,
Bas.