(K)ubuntu @ Asus Eee PC 1001HA - request for advise.

Bas Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 17:47:21 UTC 2010

Hello everybody

At present, I am considering to buy a netbook with the following main
specifications:

Processor --- ------- Intel Atom N270 1.6GHz
Pre-installed OS:--  Windows® 7 Starter
Screen: ---------------10,1 inch  (1024 x 600), LED, WSVGA,
Color-Shine (Glare-type).
Internal memory:---1 GB DDR2
Hard disk:------------250 GB SATA
Wireless:-------------b/g/n
Video card:-----------Intel® GMA 950
Maximum number of working hours of a fully loaded 6 cell battery: 9,5 hours.
Weight:1.4 Kg.
It is a revised, upgraded version of the "Asus Eee PC 1001HA".

It is crystal clear to me that I want to install on such a machine the
stable version of  "Kubuntu netbook remix" 10.04 LTS, which will be
available in May 2010. I only want to use Win7 in a limited number of
situations in which Windows is still unavoidable.

However it may be, what would you advise me to do before and in May? I
am considering 3 options.

OPTION 1
Installing now the current version of "Kubuntu remix" with a view to
upgrading it to 10.04 in May.

OPTION 2
Carrying out a 4 stages plan:
1. Installing the current version of "Ubuntu Netbook remix";
2. Adding "Kontact", the address book, mail and organiser software I
want to work with;
3. Upgrading this configuration to version 10.04 in May;
4. Adding afterwords those packages enabling me to also work with
Kubuntu netbook remix 10.04.

OPTION 3
Any other approach you would recommend me.

Which option would you advise to me?

Finally - > 95% of the work at such a netbook I want to carry out via
*ubuntu.  That's why I want to minimise the size of the Windows 7
partition as much as possible. Two questions:
What is the minimal size of the Windows 7 partition you would recommend me?
Is it possible to partition during the installation process in such a
way that I can predetermine the size of each partition?

Thanks in advance for any advise that might come in.  Respectfully yours,
Bas Roufs.