Disable laptop touchpad

Jim Barnes mail.list.mail at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 14:48:57 UTC 2010

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> I have been given a laptop (Presario V5030EA). Lucky, eh?
>
> Anyway, I have installed Mint 7 XFCE version, which is based on Jaunty.
> It all seems great, and very similar to Kubuntu. I chose that distro as
> it needs fewer resources.
>
> Unfortunately this laptop does not have a button to disable the touchpad
> and most of the time I use it with a mouse. I have used Google to try to
> find how to disable the touchpad and have finished up rather confused.
> For a start it appears that methods which worked with versions of ubuntu
> up to Intrepid will no longer work with Jaunty.
>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction please? There must be some
> simple way to do it, surely. Any help gratefully received,
>
> Neil

                                              syndaemon(1)

NAME
       syndaemon - a program that monitors keyboard activity and
disables the touchpad when the keyboard is being used.

SYNTAX
       syndaemon [-i idle-time] [-d] [-p pid-file] [-t] [-k] [-K]

DESCRIPTION
       Disabling  the touchpad while typing avoids unwanted movements of
the pointer that could lead to giving focus to the wrong window.  This
       program needs SHMConfig "on" in your XOrg/XFree86 Synaptics
Touchpad configuration.

<snip>

HTH,

--